Monday, August 1, 2011

Can Toastmasters add to your marketability?

Some people are not aware of the many benefits of visiting one of  Toastmasters International's many local clubs. If you have not been introduced to Toastmasters yet,   let me be the first.

Public speaking is one of those things that we all must do from time to time. Whether at work, or in some social situation, we are sometimes asked to say at least a few words. For some, like me, rattling on  for a few minutes isn't too daunting ( for others,  it can be a real struggle).  But if I need to speak longer or on a more focused, specific subject, I get nervous too.

That is why last fall I started to visit some local clubs until I found one were I felt comfortable and worked best with my schedule.  The folks were friendly, welcoming and let me visit as much as I liked. I was able to visit off and on for the next six months or so. One of the many things I like about Toastmasters is it allows people to practice, learn and develop their skills in a low stress, non threatening environment. Plus I have fun.

Here are a few reasons why Toastmasters is an asset to your marketability.

  
Employers need and want their employees to have solid "soft skills",  not usually taught in schools. 


Being involved in personal development activities shows that you work at improving yourself. 


A completed Toastmasters program has been called  "a graduate degree in Communications". 



For those who have had club experience,  please share how Toastmasters has benefited you..

Lets encourage folks to come visit a local club and see what they're missing!

No comments:

Post a Comment